Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Temperament Type

According to the Humanmetrics Jung Typology Test, my temperament is "Guardian".

As stated by
D. Keirsey (1998), all Guardians share the following core characteristics:

  • Guardians pride themselves on being dependable, helpful, and hard-working.
  • Guardians make loyal mates, responsible parents, and stabilizing leaders.
  • Guardians tend to be dutiful, cautious, humble, and focused on credentials and traditions.
  • Guardians are concerned citizens who trust authority, join groups, seek security, prize gratitude, and dream of meting out justice.

I find this to be a fairly accurate summary of what I see myself as. It reflects how I find myself (and hopefully others!) to be as a mother, student, friend, and practicing teacher. I believe this temperament type is one that will be a benefit to me in the classroom, will be a benefit to my students and will provide a positive learning environment for all involved.

Reference:

Keirsey, D. (1998) About the 4 Temperaments: The Guardians. Accessed on 15 July 2009 on the World Wide Web: http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=2&c=overview

2 comments:

  1. If you had a group of students working on a wiki, could you anticipate ways that they would work together? Would a guardian work well with all of the other temperament types do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had a group of students working on a wiki, I am anticipating that there could be a few disagreements between group members - due to different points of view, learning styles etc. This is the case though for any kind of group activity. As the teacher in the classroom, it would be my duty to encourage positive group relationships and communication and perhaps suggest to groups to delegate roles within creating their wikis.

    After reading about the other temperament types, I think a guardian would work well with the other types except for the Artisians. When Artisans are working on a project, they will do whatever works and whatever gives them a quick effective payoff even if they have to break the rules. Whereas Guardians prefer to follow the rules and are careful to obey the laws.

    From the other temperament types, Guardians would best get along with the Idealists as both temperament types do what is right rather than just do what works.

    ReplyDelete